Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Am the Book

 I Am the Bookis a new book by Lee Bennett Hopkins, just released this past March. It is a collection of poetry by thirteen different well-known children’s authors and poets. All of the poems celebrate books and the joy of reading. Through wonderful figurative language, the authors convey how they feel about the magic of reading. Each poem has a different form and different voice depending on which author wrote that particular poem. If a child loves to read, this is also a good book to introduce them to poetry since it’s all about what they love best—books! For any child that likes artwork, the whimsical pictures are interesting, too, and help add to the meaning of the poems. In every illustration, Yayo uses books as part of the scene. In one picture the book is the dog’s nose and whiskers, in another the boat. Although I enjoyed reading this entire book, and recommend it as an addition to everyone's collection, I especially loved the following poem, “Don’t Need a Window Seat,” by Kristine O’Connell George.
Riding home from the library, 
don’t need a window seat.
Got a great new book to read,
eleven more beneath my feet.
Bus’s wheels are turning fast,
I’m starting Chapter One,
hoping I won’t reach my stop
before this book is done
Riding my imagination,
Flying down city streets.
Got this great new book to read––
who needs a window seat?

No comments:

Post a Comment